The Bigorio Monastery, Switzerland’s oldest Capuchin community, was founded in 1535. It is also the home of Fra' Roberto who, as the last monk to remain here, is host and pastor as well as artist.
Renovation work was carried out twenty years ago and the opportunity taken to commission Ticino artists with the decor. Since then the chapels have been adorned with sgraffiti paintings by Pierino Selmoni, Pietro Travaglini, Max Läubli, Alberto Salvioni, Carlo Manini, Giancarlo Tamagni, Gianni Paris and Fra' Roberto. Each painting speaks its own language and it is left to the observer to decide the message held by the individual stations. Today the monastery serves a variety of purposes, as one example for a weekend of silence. Not everyone’s cup of tea of course but the tranquility of the spot provides a setting worthy of silence.