Friday, July 12, 2013

Sad Demise of Fr. Godwin Lobo, Capuchin

It was in 1980 at monte Guirim that i met Fr. Godwin Lobo, young and handsome friar. He drew my attention because He was surrounded by many young students from the school and the boarding. In the evening he met me again in the refectory and said something which i have not forgotten. He said that I would become a good Capuchin. I dont know whether I am a good Capuchin but i do know that i try to live his words every day. After that encounter in 1980 whenever he met me there was a word of encouragement from his part to me. when i became the Provincial of Maharashtra he did telephone to congratulate me. When we met in person he had words of wisdom to share with me. 
After many years of teaching in Monte De Guirim school he retired and devoted himself to preaching and other apostolate. He always wore a smile and was available for a talk or a dialogue. He would mingle with old and young friars. When he opted to go as Missionary to Mexico, it came as a pleasant shock to me but later when i met he had something beautiful to say. He said that I have tremendous experience and wisdom which i can share with the Mexicans. Language was not a problem for him as he was fluent in Portugeese. After serving there for four to five years yesterday i get a sad news of his demise. Who ever thought that Fr. Godwin would die so early. He has left behind a huge number of friends and admirers who will remember him always. I for one will not forget his encouraging personality. When i was elected as the General Definitor i receive an email from him sent from Mexico. Again wonderful words and wishes from his part.
Dear Fr. Godwin I will miss you dear. May the good Lord grant Eternal life.

No comments: